Deciding between one home service business and another largely depends on the needs of the homeowner. Many home service businesses offer essential services that install, maintain, and repair the infrastructure of your home. Other home service professionals offer services that provide convenience by easing the daily tasks of home ownership. As a homeowner, you want your home to be a place of comfort, relaxation, and safety. Quality services from a home service business delivers on this desire and has other benefits.
Most Common Home Services
Keeping your house in good condition is essential to ensuring that it retains value and remains a comfortable place in which to live. In this article, we will consider some commonly requested home services and the types of care that every house needs. This provides some interesting insights into the most in demand home service businesses.
When you think of essential home service business ideas, plumbing immediately leaps to the top of the list. Plumbing protects your home and the health of your family. Plumbing moves clean drinking water into homes, protecting your property against damage. Just as quickly, wastewater is removed from your home through drains. To say that plumbing services are crucial for maintaining a safe and healthy home is an understatement. Plumbing services help to properly install, maintain and repair your home’s water supply and drainage system. If a problem arises with your plumbing system your family may be in danger and your property is at risk of serious damage.
Plumbing problems such as leaks, clogged drains, and burst pipes can cause significant damage to your home if not addressed promptly. Access to highly qualified plumbing services should be at the top of every homeowners and renters’ to do list upon move-in. Some of the services offered by the plumbing industry every house needs include:
- Leak detection and repair
- Drain cleaning
- Toilet repair and replacement
- Appliance install, repair and replacement including water heater, sump pumps, garbage disposals, water softeners
- Sewer install, maintenance and repair
Heating and Cooling Services
Within the home service industry, heating and cooling companies are another necessary business. Like plumbing, a safe indoor temperature protects your family and property. For some homeowners heating and cooling repair is an on demand home services business. However, many home service businesses including HVAC can save homeowners significantly with ongoing HVAC maintenance and prevention of issues.
The best home service businesses help reduce the risk of emergency repairs by installing high quality equipment and providing ongoing professional assistance. Frozen pipes, poor indoor air quality, and loss of air conditioning during a heat wave are the disasters that keep homeowners up at night. Heating and cooling companies offers these services and others:
- Installation, maintenance, and repair of furnaces, air conditioners and other systems
- Design, installation, and care for ventilation systems
- Indoor air quality equipment like air cleaners, thermostats, and air purification systems
Electricians are the final example of an essential home service business all homeowners need. As all home appliances including plumbing, heating, and cooling equipment need electricity to operate, electrical services are vital to daily life. Developing a relationship with an electrician is a wise idea for homeowners. This prevents situations such as faulty wiring and overloaded circuits which can be dangerous and cause fires. These first three examples of home service businesses that every house needs are so common many home solutions businesses offer all services as a one stop shop. Some of the electrical services that every house needs include:
- Electrical inspections
- Electrical panel upgrades
- Electrical repairs
- Lighting installation and repair
- Smart home installation
House Cleaning Services
Cleaning your house is not only important for maintaining its appearance but also for the health and well-being of your family. Regular cleaning helps to remove dust, dirt, and allergens that can cause respiratory problems.
Cleaning the interior and exterior of your home protects the value so in cases of necessity or to reduce the long list of necessary services, hiring home service businesses for cleaning is a common choice. There are a number of house cleaning business options, such as:
- General cleaning services: This involves basic housekeeping like cleaning floors and surfaces throughout the home.
- Deep cleaning services: Cleaning carpets, rugs, areas behind furniture, wall treatments, and hard to reach areas are known as deep cleaning.
- Move-in/move-out cleaning services: This home cleaning service is in high demand especially for landlords, rental properties, post construction cleaning. This involves cleaning a house before moving in or after moving out. Home cleaning services like this are becoming far more common. Even on demand home services are emerging for cleaning.
Pest Control Services
Pest control services are necessary for keeping your home free from pests such as rodents, insects, and termites. Pests can cause significant damage to your home and belongings and also pose health risks to your family. Some of the pest control services that every house needs include:
- Rodent control
- Insect control
- Termite control
- Wildlife removal
Landscaping and Lawn Care Services
The home service market is not limited to interiors and your property. The exterior of your home is just as important as the interior. Landscaping and lawn care services help to keep your yard looking neat and attractive, which adds to the overall appeal of your home.
Additionally, a well-maintained yard provides a safe and conducive environment for outdoor activities. A lawn care service may provide some or all of the following services:
- Lawn mowing and edging
- Hedge trimming
- Tree pruning
- Weed control
Additional Home Service Businesses
Depending on your lifestyle and your home, there are some additional necessary services for your home. These examples of home service may be an occasional, seasonal or ongoing need. For instance, the surfaces in your home like walls, trim and doors benefit from painting. Many homeowners enjoy home improvement projects while others prefer to pay for this valuable service. Whether you perform these services yourself or hire a professional home service professional most homes need:
- Chimney sweep
- Dryer vent cleaning
- Gutter cleaning and repair
- Pressure washing decks, patios, driveways
- Pool and spa services
- Roofing services and roofing repair
- Snow removal
- Window maintenance and repair
Basic Home Maintenance Services List
The best way to identify the home service for your specific home is to create a basic home maintenance list. This helps plan the care for your home including daily, weekly, monthly, seasonal chores. Some of these tasks include:
- Cleaning all surfaces and floors.
- Cleaning and maintaining plumbing fixtures.
- Cleaning all appliances.
- Cleaning interior windows.
- Dusting surfaces.
- Replacing air filters in heating and cooling systems.
- Testing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Pest control.
- Yard clean up.
- Regularly cleaning gutters and downspouts to prevent water damage.
- Checking for and repairing leaks in plumbing and roofing.
- Maintaining the HVAC system,
- Insulating windows and doors to prevent energy loss,
- Sealing cracks and gaps in walls and floors,
- Maintaining outdoor faucets and sprinkler heads.
- Deep cleaning carpets, bathroom fixtures, and major appliances.
- Lawn care, snow removal, leaf clean-up, and landscaping.
These are just some of the chores every house needs. Americans spend hundreds of hours each year repeating these tasks. This list does not include the necessary repairs and common maintenance issues that require a call to your local home service business.
Most Common Home Maintenance Issues
It is very important to have a list of professional services and tradespeople you can contact for all of these issues. Home services are growing businesses. For homeowners who prefer to do the majority of your own maintenance, finding a home service business on short notice can be its own challenge. Some of the most common home maintenance issues that homeowners face include:
- Plumbing problems such as leaks and clogs
- Electrical issues such as faulty wiring and overloaded circuits
- Roofing problems such as leaks and damaged shingles
- HVAC problems such as a malfunctioning thermostat and air conditioning unit
- Water damage from floods or leaks
- Pest infestations
- Foundation issues such as cracks and settling
- Cracked or damaged windows
- Damaged or outdated appliances
- Fallen trees or debris
Most Common Home Repairs
Home repairs are necessary to maintain the integrity of your home and prevent more significant issues from arising. Some of the most common home repairs that homeowners face include:
- Roof repairs or replacement
- Foundation repairs
- Plumbing repairs such as fixing leaks and replacing pipes
- Electrical repairs such as rewiring and upgrading the electrical panel
- HVAC repairs such as fixing a malfunctioning air conditioning unit or replacing a furnace
- Window repairs or replacement
- Repairing or replacing damaged flooring
- Repairing or replacing damaged siding
- Repairing or replacing a damaged garage door
Most of these repairs will require special knowledge, training, licensing, and tools. For this reasons, there are many professional home services that are in greater demand across the US than others.
Home Maintenance Tips for New Homeowners
As a new homeowner, it can be overwhelming to keep up with the maintenance and repairs that your home needs. However, regular maintenance is essential to keeping your home in good condition and preventing more significant issues from arising. The importance of home maintenance cannot be overstated.
Here are some home maintenance tips for new homeowners:
- Create a maintenance schedule: Create a schedule of all the maintenance tasks that your home needs, such as cleaning gutters, replacing air filters, and checking for leaks. This will help you stay organized and ensure that you don’t overlook any critical tasks.
- Know your home’s systems: Familiarize yourself with your home’s electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems. This will help you understand how they work and identify any issues that may arise.
- Perform regular inspections: Regularly inspect your home for signs of damage or wear and tear. This includes checking for leaks, cracks, and damage to walls, floors, and ceilings.
- Clean regularly: Regular cleaning is essential to maintaining a clean and healthy home. This includes dusting, vacuuming, and wiping surfaces.
- Maintain your appliances: Regularly clean and maintain your appliances to ensure that they function correctly and last longer.
- Seal cracks and gaps: Seal any cracks and gaps in walls, floors, and windows to prevent energy loss and keep pests out.
- Keep up with landscaping: Regularly mow your lawn, trim hedges, and prune trees to keep your yard looking neat and attractive.
- Hire qualified professionals: When hiring professionals for home maintenance and repairs, make sure they are qualified and experienced to provide the services you need.
By following these home maintenance tips, you can ensure that your home remains in good condition and that you catch any issues before they become more significant problems. As a new homeowner, taking care of your home is a significant responsibility, but it’s also a rewarding one. By investing time and effort in maintaining your home, you can enjoy it for years to come.
You can ask for referrals from friends and family or search online for reviews and ratings of service providers in your area.
It depends on the task and the condition of your home. Generally, it’s recommended to perform basic maintenance tasks such as cleaning gutters and replacing air filters every 3-6 months.
You can prevent pest infestations by keeping your home clean and free of clutter, sealing cracks and gaps in walls and floors, and using pest repellents and baits.
You should regularly inspect your home for signs of damage or wear and tear. If you notice any issues such as leaks, cracks, or damage, you should get them fixed promptly.
Unless you have experience and expertise in home repairs, it’s not recommended to handle them yourself. You may end up causing more damage or putting yourself at risk of injury.